Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A part of the Latin community

Whew! Two years and another baby later, I think I now know exactly what I want to share in this blog.

I have realized just exactly how far I'll go to teach my kids Spanish, and to be frank it may be a little too far when you decide you have to teach all of your child's friends the language too.

But that's exactly where I'm at right now. And today I had the epiphany that for me, them knowing the language is not enough. I need to figure out how to prepare them to be a part of the Latin community as well.

And how do I do that? Good question. Please tell! I am only today exploring the options.

1 comments:

Sarah @ Baby Bilingual

Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog, Laura. I'm honored!

Congratulations on the arrival of a new baby. How are are your children?

Hmmm...wanting to teach your children's friends Spanish...doesn't sound too odd to this woman who began teaching her nephew French before she started her own family!

Good luck to you on your quest. Keep in touch!

Me in a nutshell

Under One Techo | Under One Roof
I grew up an air-force brat, on bases and off bases, statewide and on foreign soil. Having lived in both Japan and Los Angeles (Little Mexico!), I have a love for both the Latin and Asian communities. But above all that lies a commitment to God, marriage, and family as the backbone of society. And with that, let the crazy, cultural mash-up begin..